Based in Lancaster, we provide professional medico-legal services throughout the Lancashire area, South Cumbria and Greater Manchester including Blackpool, Preston, Barrow and Lytham.
All our legal reporting and procedure is by our Senior Consultant.
Senior Consultant – Mr Shyam Kumar; LLM (Medical Law &Ethics), FRCS Tr& Orth., FRCSEd, FRCS, FEBOT (Fellowship of the European Board of Orthopaedics and Trauma), M.S (Ortho), DNB (Ortho)
Consultant Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon
Mr Kumar has passed an LLM (Medical Law &Ethics) with merit which has given him the skills to analyse judgements and academic commentary to arrive at conclusions based on evidence.
He has completed a dissertation on the topic: “Rationing of healthcare in the United Kingdom state-funded care system and its impact on human rights in comparison with other developed nations.”
Mr Kumar has over 20 years of surgical experience in both the United Kingdom and overseas. He is currently serving as consultant orthopaedic surgeon, whilst undertaking medico-legal advisory work.
After training at the Mersey Deanery and under the Welsh Orthopaedic training schemes, Mr Kumar became a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons. He also gained a post CCT fellowship in shoulder and elbow surgery at the prestigious Shoulder and Elbow Unit at Northern General Hospital in Sheffield.
Over the years, Mr Kumar has published many peer-reviewed journals on topics related to Trauma and Orthopaedics. He also teaches trainee doctors and has been involved in research within his field.
- Upper limb
- General trauma
- Member, Medicolegal committee, British Orthopaedic Association- since Jan 2020.
- Clinical assessor for Practitioner Performance Advice (Formerly NCAS -National Clinical Assessment Service), 2015 till present.
- Specialist advisor to CQC (2014-2019).
- MRCS Examiner, Royal College of surgeons, Edinburgh
- Member of Appointments Advisory Committee, Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Faculty member of Centre of Excellence in safety for older people (CESOP).
- Recognized trainer of junior doctors
Membership of Societies
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Elbow and Shoulder Society
- Royal college of Surgeons of England
- Royal college of Surgeons of Edinburgh
Publications in peer- reviewed journals
- M Brkljac , J Conville , U Sonar , S Kumar . Long-term follow-up of platelet-rich plasma injections for refractory lateral epicondylitis. Journal of Orthopaedics 16 (6), November–December 2019, P496-499
- Shyam Kumar, Roger Kline, Tracy Boylin . Root cause analysis in the NHS: time for change? Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 2020 Apr 2;81(4):1-4.
- Shyam Kumar. Bullying and undermining by line managers in the NHS BMJ 2019;365:l2240 doi: 10.1136/bmj.l2240 (Published 20 May 2019)
- Patel P, Brkljac M, Sonar U, Kumar S Heterotopic ossification following anterior shoulder dislocation. BMJ Case Reports November 2018;2018:bcr-2018-226968
- Fragility fractures in the upper limb: proximal and distal humerus.Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2018 Mar 2;79(3):148-150. doi: 10.12968/hmed.2018.79.3.148 Kumar S, Sonar U, Singh I.
- The effect of platelet rich plasma injection on lateral epicondylitis following failed conservative management. J Orthop. 2015 Nov 18;12(Suppl 2):S166-70. Brkljac M, Kumar S, Kalloo D, Hirehal K
- Preoperative grip strength measurement and duration of hospital stay in patients undergoing total hip and knee arthroplasty.Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2013 Jul;23(5):553-6. Shyam Kumar AJ, Beresford-Cleary N, Kumar P, Barai A, Vasukutty N, Yasin S, Sinha A
- Kumar S, Stanley D, Burke NG, Mullett H. Tennis elbow. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2011 Sep;93(6):432-6.
- Parmar V. Kumar S, Harper W. The importance of surgical education in the accuracy of implant placement during hip fracture fixation. Journal of Orthopaedics and Traumatology.. 2009; 2(10):59-61
- AJ Shyam Kumar, V Parmar, S Kolpattil, S Humad, S Williams, WM Harper. Significance of hip rotation on measurement of ‘Tip Apex Distance’ during fixation of extracapsular proximal femoral fractures. Injury,38 (7): 792-796, Jul 2007
- Shyam Kumar AJ, Parmar V, Bankart J, Williams SC, Harper WM. Comparison of accuracy of lag screw placement in cephalocondylic nails and sliding hip screw plate fixation for extracapsular fractures of the neck of femur. Int Orthop. 2006 Oct;30(5):320-4
- Parmar VN, Kumar AJS, Harper WM. Methods of Quantification of Lag Screw Placement within the Femoral Head during Fracture Fixation. Acta Orthop Belg. 2005 Jun;71(3):260-3
- A J Shyam Kumar, V Parmar, S Ahmed, S Kar, W M Harper. A Study of grip endurance and strength in different elbow positions. J Orthopaed Traumatol (2008) 9:209–211
- Dhillon SS, Kumar AJ, Sadaiyyappan V, Bassi RS, Shanahan D, Deshmukh SC. Anatomical study comparing the thickness of the volar and dorsal cortex of cadaveric adult distal radii using digital photography. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2007 Dec;127(10):975-7
- J Oakley, AJShyam Kumar, S Wong, S Brookes-Fazakerley. Survey of the initial management and imaging protocols for occult scaphoid fractures in UK hospitals. Skeletal Radiol (2009) 38:1045–1048
- AJ Shyam Kumar, D.S. Gill, C. Fairweather and L. Dykes. The pattern of ankle fractures sustained by outdoor activities at the Snowdonia National Park, North Wales, United Kingdom . Foot and Ankle Surgery (2009);15(3) :144-145
- AJ Shyam Kumar, J Oakley,SKS Wong, SJ Philips. The surgeon and his tools-the case for a focused orthopaedic theatre induction programme. BMC Research Notes 2008, 1:104 (28 October 2008)
- AJ Shyam Kumar, J Oakley, JW Wooton. Dynamic posterior stabilisation of shoulder hemiarthroplasty in long standing neglected posterior dislocations of the glenohumeral joint- Int Journal Shoulder Surg.2008,2(4):83-4IIn
- AJ Shyam Kumar, Muhannad Alkinj, AS Aster and Smith: Technical note: The deep infrapatellar bursa release in Total Knee Arthroplasty for improved access: The Internet Journal of Orthopedic Surgery. 2008; Volume 8, Number 1
- AJ Shyam Kumar, SKS Wong, JG Andrew. “The importance of statins in orthopaedic practice: A series of 3 cases”. Acta Orthop. Belg 2008, 74: 569-572
- AJ. Shyam Kumar, B. Hickerton, I. C. Smith,A. Sinha . Iliacus abscess: an entity to be differentiated from psoas abscess: a review of 15 cases. European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology 17;(5) September, 2007: 475-478.
- A J Shyam Kumar, Richard Charity, and Aeneas O’Kelly. Junior doctors’ welfare officer—to be recommended for all hospitals. BMJ Career Focus, Feb 2007; 334: 60
- D. M. Power, R. J. Potter, A.J.S. Kumar, T. Spalding: Technical Note: A Novel Retractor For “Inside-Out” Meniscal Suture. The Internet Journal of Orthopedic Surgery. 2005. Volume 2 Number 2
Abstracts in peer- reviewed journals
- AJ Shyam Kumar, SG Haidar, R Penematsa, R Charity, AB Tillu. The accuracy of digital photography for the measurement of anatomical bone specimens. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 2004, 12 B: S68
- SS Dhillon, AJS Kumar, D Shanahan, SC Deshmukh. A cadaveric study of the thickness of the volar and dorsal cortices of the distal radius using digital photography. European Journal of Trauma. 2004;30(1):50
- AJ Shyam Kumar, DM Power.Safety of Radiation exposure in the operation theatre. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 2003; 11(A):78.
Letters to editor in peer- reviewed journals
- Lorcan McGonagle, Shyam Kumar, Ronan Banim Unicompartmental or total knee replacement . http://www.jbjs.org.uk/cgi/eletters/91-B/1/52 accessed 24/02/2009.
- Parmar V, Shyam Kumar AJ, Harper WM. Reliability of the GAITRite walkway system for the quantification of temporo-spatial parameters of gait in young and older people.Gait Posture. 2006 Jun;23(4):523
- AJ Shyam Kumar, VN Parmar, WM Harper. Dynamic hip screw in the management of reverse obliquity intertrochanteric neck of femur fractures.Injury2006;37(1):89
- AJ Shyam Kumar– ‘Dorsal plating for displaced intra-articular fractures of the distal radius’.Injury.2005;36(1):236
- A.J Shyam Kumar. Human rights for the victims of terror. Letter to the editor, (BMJ) British Medical Journal (rapid responses). http://bmj.com/cgi/eletters/326/7393/773;accessed,4th April 2003
Case Reports in peer- reviewed journals
- S Batra. AJS Kumar. Air Bag induced fatal subaxial cervical spinal cord Injury in a low velocity collision. European Journal of emergency Medicine. Eur J Emerg Med. 2008 Feb;15(1):52-5
- AJ Shyam Kumar,V Parmar, WM Harper. Proximal radio-ulnar synostosis with radial neck non-union in a case of undiplaced fracture of the radial head. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol (2006) 16:243-244
- AJS Kumar, R charity, SC Deshmukh. Irreducible shoulder dislocation caused by interposed subscapularis muscle. European Journal of Orthopaedic surgery and Traumatology, 2005 ;15(1):42-44
- Kumar AJ, Nambiar C, Kanse P. Spontaneous resolution of lumbar pseudomeningocoele – a case report and review of the literature. Spinal cord (2003); 41:470-472
- Dharmarajan R, Kumar AJS, Aldridge MJ. Medial meniscus interposition in proximal tibial epiphyseal fracture- A case report and review of the literature. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology and Arthroscopy Journal, Sweden. 2003;11(4):251-254
- Kumar AJS, Power DM, Prasad V, Sargeant I .Occult femoral artery injury in a case of closed fracture of the femur revealed during Guillotine above knee amputation-a case report. European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology (2004) 14 :45-46
- BMI, The Lancaster Hospital, Lancaster, LA1 3RH
- Lancashire Clinic, 15 Church Road, Lytham St Annes, FY8 5LH
- Riverside Medical Centre, 198 Victoria Road, Preston, PR5 4AY